The water-taxi rocks gently as we
leave Marco Polo airport, cruising steadily through Veneto’s open waters. It’s
the last leg of a long journey and it is by far the most comfortable. My back
sinks into the cream leather seats with relief after a stressful six hours of security
checks, turbulence and lack of leg room.
I never used to be a nervous flyer. I enjoy the thrill of taking off at
high speed and the bump of landing on the runway. But after a hairy flight home
over the French Alps last year, I am sensitive to the slightest turbulence.
Chest goes tight; palms get hot; heart rate rises. Combine that with painful ear-popping
due to pressure change and the whole experience is less than relaxing.
As we glide through the water
Venice comes into sight. Having never been to Venice before I quite
unintentionally, but inevitably, arrived with a preconceived notion about what
it might hold. My parents would tell me tales of fine dining, friendly Italians
and beautiful architecture. My guidebook told me tales of over-priced shops,
tourist traps and crumbling foundations. In reality, it is all of those things
combined but as the taxi turns into the mouth of the Grand Canal any
preconceptions dissolve from my mind. It is nothing like what I could have
imagined. Giant buildings grow out of the water in a state of elegant decay. Faded
murals painted onto the faces of ancient structures whisper of a rich history
of decadence and luxury. Gondolas
slither past carrying excitable American tourists gasping and snapping cameras
at the Ca’d’Oro Palazzo; a gothic palace with a once entirely gold exterior,
that faded over the centuries to a dull cream. So grand are the buildings
lining the canal, one would be forgiven for overlooking what lies behind. For
in between the palazzos and beneath the façade of opulent gothic carvings, are
an endless maze of alleyways and hidden gardens. We float underneath the Rialto
bridge, lined with tourists taking pictures of friends with the canal as a
backdrop. The bridge itself is scattered with graffiti but somehow it doesn’t
deter from the grace of it. It simply seems to fit in with the shabby feel of
the city.
The water-taxi pulls into a
floating bus stop and we heave our suitcases up the ramp onto dry land. My
travel companion mutters something about blisters and sore shoulders as we
gather our belongings and step onto the sidewalk. We begin plotting our way on
the map to the apartment we’ve booked for the week, the narrow streets becoming
much less simple to navigate with luggage and an endless flow of tourists
ambling slowly in the afternoon sun. As we weave in and out of the sedate
crowds, I begin to soak up the atmosphere of the city. Fried fish wafts under
my nose as we pass restaurateurs setting out tables for dinner. Water-bus
drivers shout Italian expletives at stray Gondoliers trying frantically to
manoeuvre their tiny boats in the wake of the current. Elegant waifs trot past with designer
shopping bags and blacked-out sunglasses. A warble of Japanese girls rushes by
loudly as they hurry to catch the next bus.
We turn off the main street and
cross over a quiet bridge, the steps worn to a smooth, slippery sheen from
hundreds of years of movement. After a couple of wrong turns we finally see the
sign that tells us we have reached our road:
Fondamenta
Soranzo della Fornace
The words flow off my tongue like
melted butter. There’s something distinctly sophisticated about the Italian
language. Of the few words I know, I find myself practising the pronunciation
when I’m bored, or waiting in line, or both. We find apartment number 206,
tucked tightly amongst a silent row of houses and a couple of tiny boutiques,
and turn the key in the lock. As it clicks, I push against the brass knocker
and the wooden door swings open to reveal our home for the next five days; a
quiet two-bedroom sanctuary away from the bustle of the city, decked out with
Ikea furniture and a fresh, open-plan living space. A far cry from the decaying
exterior of chipped plaster and bubbled paint work.
The next morning we fill our
stomachs with fresh scrambled eggs and crispy pancetta purchased from a nearby
market. With the previous day’s travelling and half a bottle of Prosecco still
hanging over our heads from the night before, I leave my companion and set off
to explore the maze of canals.
I venture out into the morning
air with ten euros in my pocket and a cheap digital camera bumping lightly
against my thigh with every stride. Taking the water-bus from Accademia to San
Marco, I have a bit of time to study the map. I make a mental list of all the
places in Venice I want to visit over the next few days; the Doge’s Palace, St
Mark’s Basilica, the Rialto Market, Burano Island. Tracing various routes on
the paper with my finger I roughly work out the distance between each point of
interest. After a while the motion of the waves under the boat allows me to
drift off into my head as I watch the horizon move slowly past. There’s something
very relaxing about the sea. The clean-cut salt air always clears through my
thoughts better than anything else. I hadn’t imagined Venice to make me feel
like this. I had heard horror stories of stinking canals and stale air. But
they were wrong. I feel free here.
As the bus pulls up at San Marco it’s
every man for himself. Suddenly the seemingly frail Italian women take no
prisoners and sneak past, elbowing anyone in their way, pushing through the
crowd with their shopping bags. It surprises me that no-one says thank you to
the man working on the bus. Perhaps it’s the typical British politeness I’ve
been conditioned into, or perhaps it is just the way I’ve been raised.
Nonetheless, I thank him as he lets me off the boat.
Piazza San Marco
St Mark’s Square cannot be
properly captured in any form other than reality. Photos, paintings, essays
will never fully do it justice. Because it’s not just about the architecture of
the Basilica with its ornate gilt carvings and detailed murals, or the herringbone
pattern on the tiling in the square, or the height of the clock tower rising
high enough to see a panoramic view of the city. It’s about the atmosphere;
something which can only truly be experienced by standing right in the centre
of it all. It has a vivid history that should be smelt and heard and tasted.
As I turn the corner into the
square a large crowd of students begin to assemble for photographs with the
Basilica in the background. They are each wearing long black gowns with laurel
wreaths hanging loosely around their necks, grinning widely and hugging each
other animatedly. A graduation. I weave
through the hoards of students and tourists queuing for the clock tower, aiming
for the opposite corner of the square. I pass markets stalls selling tacky
souvenirs; t-shirts emblazoned with the words ‘I Love Venice’ and hundreds of plastic
masks in vulgar colours begging to be bought by the next naïve day-tourist. As
I stroll through the centre of the piazza, the sound of a piano catches my
attention. On the far left, an entire classical band is set up under a bright
red awning, surrounded by stylish chairs and tables. A waiter in a sharp white
suit and a bow tie loiters next to the band for a second, then walks behind
them and disappears into a café. I follow him past the band and into the arcade
which runs along the north side of the square. Above the door of the café is a
sign I recognise:
Florian
Reputedly Lord Byron’s favourite
haunt, Café Florian is renowned for its extravagantly priced afternoon tea and
lavish interior. Remembering that I’m only carrying ten euros, I bypass the
opportunity to treat myself to an over-priced coffee, but make a mental note to
visit again before the week is out.
I decide to move away from the
crowds and leave the piazza, following my nose for a while. I had been told by
a friend that in order to “appreciate” Venice one must simply “get lost in
Venice”. So, in a bid to lose myself amongst the alleyways, I fold away my map
and allow my legs to carry me wherever they please.
I follow the maze for a while,
passing art shops with simplistic window displays and jewellery shops selling
Murano glass treasures. Eventually, navigating myself away from the tourists, I
somehow stumble into a secluded square. A fountain trickles gently in the
centre and a solitary pigeon pecks at the floor where someone carelessly
dropped the remains of their lunch. A little pizzeria sits pride of place on
the far side, wafting appetizing scents of tomato and cheese into the afternoon
air. I glance at my watch and realise I’ve been wandering aimlessly for a couple
of hours. My stomach grumbles with hunger. At the counter I ask for the biggest
slice of Margherita pizza my stomach can manage and the chef starts to whistle
merrily as he hands me a slice oozing with mozzarella. The grease sticks to the
thin paper napkin he placed it in. I pass him a two euro coin and settle down on
a seat outside overlooking the square, flinging my coat onto the arm of the
seat. Within a matter of minutes I have demolished the pizza slice, brushing
the crumbs from my lap onto the floor.
I sit for a moment and gaze at
the buildings opposite. Tall white walls sink into the canal, adorned with what
I guess to be fourteenth or fifteenth century Arabic style windows. Movement
behind one of the windows catches my attention as a young woman leans out to
push the shutters open, fixing them on each side with a metal hook. A clothes
line is strung securely from one window to another on the opposite side of the
canal, carrying three or four pillow cases and a large bright pink t-shirt. I
feel my feet starting to get restless again. The pigeon waddles over and starts
to peck at the crumbs I disposed of onto the floor. Clearly its first lunch
wasn’t satisfying enough. Grabbing my coat from the chair I walk through the
square and out the other end, back into the maze.
A black and white cat sits in the
door of a small shop, tucked away from the main street. It stands as I approach
and almost immediately starts trotting back and forth with its tail upright,
purring and meowing as if to beckon me for attention. It settles for a moment
beside a sign that reads:
Libreria Acqua
Alta
“Welcome to the
Most Beautiful Bookshop in the World”
I follow the cat inside, ducking
my head to avoid the low wooden beam above the door. The musty aroma of old
books and stale tobacco hits the back of my throat as I explore deeper into the
room. In that moment I decide I have never witnessed anything quite so strange,
yet oddly magical before. Filling the entirety of the cramped space available
are thousands of books, magazines, comics, posters and cards lining the chalk walls,
from the tiled floor to the low ceilings. In the centre a vast gondola takes
pride of place, stretching from the entrance to the far end of the shop, piled
up to the brim with books written in Italian, French, English and Spanish. As I
attempt to manoeuvre through the library without knocking over the towering
stacks of books on each side, the cat follows, gazing intently at me with an
amused look on its face. I leaf through the volumes of works on architecture,
art, language, film, music and poetry settling my sight on a small plastic bookshelf
in one corner. Perched on the shelves are a handful of ancient hardbacks dating
back to the nineteen twenties. Each one is a little battered with loose pages
and damp stained edges. As I brush my fingers over their blotchy green spines,
the cat slides its way over a mountain of magazines towards me and jumps onto
the floor, disappearing a little way over to the left. I turn to follow, making
sure not to misplace any of the precariously balanced books with my bag, and
notice another doorway leading into an even smaller room. It’s challenging, dangerous even, to move
between the rows of children’s books propped neatly against each other, flowing
down from the shelves into various containers and tumbling into what looks
suspiciously like a rusting bath tub. A scuffling sound startles me and I turn
quickly enough to see a haggard man with a short grey-speckled beard disappear
back through the doorway and into the main shop.
After what feels like hours of
trawling through the bookshop I pick up a handsome, weathered collection of
Byron’s poetry and carry it to the front desk. The old man is standing behind
it, stroking a brown tabby cat with adoration in his eyes. I smile at him as I
hand him the book to pay. Grey wrinkles
line his tough, worn skin. His eyes lock onto mine for a few seconds, longer
than is comfortable and I stare back, wondering what stories hide behind his
strong gaze. He breaks into a wide grin and asks me in a thick Italian accent
what I think of the shop. I tell him it’s like nothing I’ve ever seen before.
This seems to please him greatly and I hand him a five euro note, watching the
cat groom itself as I wait for my change.
Strolling back out of the
bookshop into fresh air and daylight, I decide to turn to the right, over a
bridge, and find myself next to a huge building with thick white pillars. The
façade is smothered in floral carvings, dripping and flowing like icing on a
wedding cake. Tucked into the wall is a shrine with a figure of the Virgin
Mary, about a foot tall, encased behind glass. She stands on a white plinth surrounded
by dried flowers and a string of ruby red rosary beads. I feel her eyes on me
as I keep walking over a wooden boardwalk until I reach a lane with a
restaurant on one side and a Venetian mask studio on the other. Reminding
myself to peruse the menu of the restaurant for prospective dinner plans later,
I turn my feet towards the mask shop and enter.
The Studio
She sits at a large wooden craft
table. Soft classical music bounces off the low ceiling, allowing her mind to
drift off as she works. She frowns slightly with concentration. Cropped black
hair is tucked neatly behind her ears revealing two gold studs on her left
lobe. Her fingers are perfectly manicured with bright red nail lacquer but the
years of training and moulding with Papier-mâché betray
her youthful choice of colour. The skin is rough. They are the hands of a mask
maker. Gradually, she sinks into the routine of following the curves of her
scissors, turning the sheet of paper with her left hand as she cuts with her
right. She becomes oblivious to the customers wandering in and out of the
studio. I walk through the tiny space she inhabits during the day. All four
walls are lined with intricately decorated Venetian masks, hanging from floor
to ceiling. Soft feathers, crystals, gold embellishments, dark satin ribbons,
delicate floral patterns; each mask hand-crafted and cared for by one pair of
worn hands. She barely seems to notice my movements as I stare longingly at
each price tag, resigned to the fact that I cannot afford a single piece of her
work. A small, square garden joins the main studio with a work shop out the
back, visible through a glass window. A cage with a single canary bird hangs
from a rafter and large terracotta plant pots litter the tiled floor.
I leave the studio, regretting the
decision not to have left the apartment with more cash on me that morning, and
walk over the road to the restaurant. I skim the menu for a couple of minutes.
It’s not long before I’ve chosen my evening meal; Antipasto platter with a selection of dried meats and olives to
start, Local crab and spinach tortellini
in a lemon oil dressing for the main dish and a large glass of Limoncello to finish. And more than
likely the raspberry panna cotta if I
decide I can stretch my stomach, and my purse strings. I go inside to book a
table. Just as I leave I notice the lady from the mask shop closing the door to
the studio and turning the key in the lock. She flings a large crimson cashmere
scarf around her neck. It falls past her waist and brings life to an otherwise
uninspiring charcoal canvas. I follow as she turns a corner at the end of the
alleyway and crosses over a bridge into a quiet street. Just ahead is ‘Il Caffè
Verde’. She enters.
“Un espresso per
favore”
The waiter places a small cup of
steaming black liquid on the bar. She lifts the cup to her lips and takes a
long, slow sip, leaving a mottled red lipstick stain on the rim. My father
always says that a good espresso is like a drug. It should be sweet, strong and
black; stiff enough to cause the hairs on your neck to prickle with shock. I
motion to the bar man and order the same, placing three coins on the counter. As
it slides down my neck it hits me with a rich, bitter warmth, kicking the cloud
of sleep from my head like a shot of adrenalin. I watch as the mask lady props
herself against the bar to roll a cigarette. Carefully painted fingernails tuck
the tobacco tightly into a thin paper tube and a swift lick of the paper sticks
the creation together neatly. I watch as she gathers her bag, flings the red
scarf around her neck and disappears out of the café.
The light begins to fade as the
sun sets over the streets and I pull out my map to navigate my way back to the
apartment. Winding back through the maze of alleyways, I aim my direction
towards the Grand Canal. The tide grows stronger in the wind. A row of gondolas
tied to poles groan in their sleep as the water slaps against them. Young
intoxicated honeymooners stumble out of a bar across the street, their stomachs
full, delirious from the mix of Aperol Spritz cocktails and rich food. It
starts to drizzle as I turn into Accademia and cross over the main bridge. Two
men carrying armfuls of umbrellas call out to tourists sheltering from the rain
in a bid to sell their wares for a few euros. I see the sign for our street and
walk down the pathway to door number 206. Turning the key, I press my hand
against the brass knocker and open the door into the apartment. I kick my shoes
off onto the tiles and let the hard, cold floor calm my aching feet as I
stagger over to the sofa. My back sinks into the padded maroon cushions with
relief. It feels like home; our sanctuary away from the bustle of the city.
No comments:
Post a Comment