Thursday, 16 June 2011

The Theory of Happiness

First I must apologise for my last rather pessimistic and indulgent blog entry. The truth is, I didn't come to a grand, philosophical conclusion. I thought about it a lot, but I guess when it comes to life and death you have to just live it how you want. The problem with a tragic and untimely death of someone as young as 20 (especially someone so clearly loved) is that it sends everyone into panic mode; some of us ,including me, immediately re-evaluate our own lives and believe that we somehow have to live better to make up for it. It makes us think 'why me? why am I still alive?'. The thing is, a lot of the time we are conditioned into forming this idea in our heads. Life and all of its great philosophers say that we should make the most of our time on Earth. Which again, sends us into this crippling state of fear and guilt that we aren't doing everything we should be doing. Instead we're lying in bed all day or wasting our time watching Desperate Housewives. But you know what? Ultimately it all bows down to happiness. Who cares what other people are doing with their time? We have to learn to stop comparing ourselves constantly. The romantic theory that you must make the most of your life essentially translates into just being happy. So if catching up on trashy television shows or lazing around on the beach makes you happy, then you aren't wasting your life.

No comments:

Post a Comment